Monday May 27 1861
- The occupation of Newport News, VA, by the Union troops led by Maj. Gen. Benjamin Franklin Butler, USA, from Fortress Monroe, near Hampton, VA. (May 27-29)
Tuesday May 27 1862
- Skirmish at Big Indian Creek, near Searcy Landing, White County, AR, with the Union forage train.
- Federal expeditions from Searcy Landing to West Point, Searcy, and Bayou Des Arc, AR, and skirmishes.
- Skirmish on Bridge Creek, near Corinth, MS.
- Skirmish at Monagan Springs, near Osceola, MO.
- Engagement at Hanover Court-House, VA, (May 27) and operations (May 28 & 29) in that vicinity. (May 27-29)
- Skirmish at Loudoun Heights, VA, by Maj. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson, CSA, advancing upon Harper's Ferry, WV, and as Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks, USA, retreats across the Potomac River, at Willamsport, PA.
- Skirmish at Slash Church, VA.
- Skirmish at White Oaks, VA.
Wednesday May 27 1863
- William Dorsey Fender, C.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.
- Edward Payson Chapin, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- The CSS Chattahoochie accidently explodes and sinks on the Chattahoochie River, GA.
- Skirmish near Lake Providence, LA.
- The first Federal assault on Port Hudson, LA.
- Brig. Gen. Edward Payson Chapin, USA, is mortally wounded during the assault on Port Hudson, LA, while leading his men.
- The Confederate attack on the Union gunboats near Greenwood, MS.
- Engagement between the USS Cincinnati and the Vicksburg, MS, batteries, with the destruction of the USS Cincinnati.
- Federal scout from Memphis, TN, toward Hernando, MS, as this scouting party captures a few horses, Negro contraband, and find no Rebels.
- Federal reconnaissance from Murfreesborough, on Manchester Pike, TN. (May 27-28)
- Federal scout from Snicker's Ferry to Aldie, Fairfax Court-House, and Leesburg, VA. (May 27-29)
Friday May 27 1864
- Skirmish at Pond Springs, AL.
- Brig. Gen. Joseph O. Shelby, CSA, assumes the command of all the Confederate troops north of the Arkansas River, AR.
- Skirmish at Thomas' House on the Trinity River, CA, as 66 bucks, 68 squaws and 24 children surrender near the junction of North Fork and the main Eel Rivers.
- Skirmish at Greenville, MS.
- The Dept. of the Missouri is embraced into the Military Division of West Mississippi.
- Skirmish near Shanghai, MO, where bushwackers burn the town over fighting with local citizens there.
- Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, Cavalry crosses the Pamunkey River and occupies Hanovertown, VA.
Saturday May 27 1865
- Benjamin Henry Grierson, U.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.
- Maj. Gen. Peter J. Osterhaus, USA, is assigned to the command the Dept. of Mississippi, relieving Maj. Gen. Gouveraeur K. Warren, USA.
- Skirmish in Chariton County, MO, with guerrillas.
- Skirmish at Switzler's Mill, Chariton County, MO, with guerrillas.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.