Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Monday February 29 1864
- Hiram Bronson Granbury, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish on Redwood Creek, CA, with the Redwood Indians, as Brig. Gen. George Wright, USA, commanding the Dept. of the Pacific, proclaims that the Indian war is being prosecuted vigorously and successfully.
- Skirmish near Canton, MS, the Meridian, MS, Expedition.
- Federal expedition from Rolla, MO, aboard the Pacific Railroad, to Batesville, AR, seizing corn and fighting bushwackers. (Feb 29-Mar 13)
- Skirmish at Stanardsville, VA, with Brig. Gen. George Armstrong Custer, USA.
- Skirmishes at Ballahock, on Bear Quarter road, and at Deep Creek, VA, with loss of life. (Feb 29-Mar 1)
- Skirmish at Beaver Dam Station, VA, as Brig. Gen. H. Judson Kilpatrick USA, splits his command and sends part of it under Col. Ulric Dahlgren, USA, towards Gochland Court House, VA.
- Skirmish at Charlottesville, VA, as Brig. Gen. George A. Custer, USA, continues on his diversionary expedition.
- Skirmish near Taylorsville, VA, with Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick's, USA, Cavalry raid on Richmond.
- The US expedition to Petersburg and the destruction of the saltpeter-works near Franklin, WV. (Feb 29-Mar 5)
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2020 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2020 EVENTS
For Details Click here