Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 160 Years Ago (More ...)
Saturday August 10 1861
- Samuel Davis Sturgis, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- The Battle of Oak Hills, Springfield, or Wilson's Creek, MO, results in Confederate victory. Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon, USA, is mortally wounded, Brig. Gen. Samuel Sturgis, USA, assumes command and retreats to Rolla, MO. Brig. Gen. Ben McCulloch, CSA, combines forces with the State Militia of Missouri under Sterling Price.
- Brig. Gen. Nathaniel Lyon, USA, is mortally wounded, shot dead from atop his horse while waving his hat and directing the position of the Union troops.
- Skirmish at Potosi, MO, with Brig. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA.
Sunday August 10 1862
- The capture of the Confederate steamer, General Lee, in the Savannah River, near Fort Pulaski, GA.
- Affair at Bayou Sara, LA, where the Union ironclad, Essex, protected a Union transport that followed and removed a large quantity of sugar from the area.
- Skirmish at Linn Creek, MO.
- Skirmish at Switzer's Mill, MO.
- Federal reconnaissance from Brownsville, TN, toward the mouth of the Hatchie River. (Aug 10-11)
- Affair on the Neuces River near Fort Clark, TX.
- Skirmish at Cedar Run, near Culpeper, VA.
Monday August 10 1863
- Thomas Pleasant Dockery, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Maj. Gen. Frederick Steele's, USA, column advances from Helena, AR, toward Little Rock.
- Skirmish at Bayou Tensas, LA.
- Federal expeditions from Big Black River, MS, and La Grange, TN, to Grenada, MS. (Aug 10-23)
- Skirmish at Dayton, MO, with Rebel bushwackers.
- Mutiny at Galveston, TX, by Confederates over lack of adequate food supplies. (Aug 10-13)
- The 13th US Army Corps, under Maj. Gen. Edward O. C. Ord, USA, is transferred from Vicksburg and Natchez, MS, to Carrollton, LA. (Aug 10-26)
- Skirmish at Bayou Tensas, LA.
- Bvt. Brig. Gen. William W. Morris, USA, is temporarily in command of the Middle Dept. and the 8th US Army Corps, VA.
- Federal raid on the Mississippi Central Railroad from Big Black River, MS, to Memphis, TN, with skirmishes at:
- Payne's Plantation, near Grenada, MS. (Aug 18);
- at Panola, MS. (Aug 20), and
- at the Coldwater, MS. (Aug 21).
Wednesday August 10 1864
- Lundsford Lindsay Lomax, C.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.
- Skirmishes at Baldwin, FL, where the Rebels attack and capture a small Federal force who were ripping up railroad track.
- Maj. Gen. John Wheeler's, CSA, Confederate raid to disrupt the Union supply and communication lines of Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, USA, in North Georgia and East Tennessee, with combats at Dalton (Aug 14-15) and other points, GA. (Aug 10-Sep 9)
- Federal scouts from Morganza, LA, with skirmishes 3 miles south of Williamsport with the Confederates. (Aug 10-12)
- Skirmish at the Tallahatchie River, MS, with Brig. Gen. Joseph A. Mower's, USA, expedition from La Grange, TN, on Oxford, MS.
- Skirmish near Stone Chapel, VA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
Thursday August 10 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2022 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2022 EVENTS
For Details Click here