Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Friday August 23 1861
- Skirmish at Medoe, MO.
- Skirmish near Fort Craig, the New Mexico Territory.
- The engagement of the US steamers, Yankee, and the Release, (ice-boat) with the batteries at the mouth of the Potomac Creek, VA, that are commanded by Col. R. M. Gary, 30th VA Infantry.
- Skirmish at Springfield, WV.
Saturday August 23 1862
- Matthew Duncan Ector, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Affair 1 mile from Trinity, AL, as the Rebels derail and burn a train, while under fire from Brig. Gen. William S. Rosecrans, USA.
- Affair on Little River, CA.
- Action at Big Hill, KY, with a Federal rout.
- Affair at Bayou Sara, LA, as the Union gunboat, Essex, accompanied by a troop transport, begins shelling the place.
- Skirmish at Greenville, MS.
- Skirmish at Four Mile, MO.
- Skirmish at Hickory Grove, MO, as Rebels threaten Kansas City.
- Skirmish near Wayman's Mill, or Spring Creek, MO.
- Maj. Gen. Horatio G. Wright, USA, assumes the command of the Dept. of the Ohio, TN, etal.
- Skirmish near Fort Donelson, TN.
- Action at Beverly Ford, VA.
- Skirmish at Pant's Ford, VA.
- The 6th US Army Corps embarks at Fort Monroe, VA, for the Washington, DC, area and the Aquia Creek.
- Actions at Sulphur (or Warrenton) Springs, VA. (Aug 23-24)
- The capture of a Union train between Harper's Ferry, WV, and Winchester, VA.
- Affair at Smithfield, or Smithfield Springs, VA.
- Engagement at Rappahannock Station, VA.
- Skirmish at Moorefield, WV.
Sunday August 23 1863
- Skirmish at Fayetteville, AR.
- Federal scout on Bennett's Bayou, MO, and skirmish.
- The Confederate capture of the US gunboats, Satellite, and the Reliance, on the Rappahannock River, VA, by Lieut. L. Taylor Wood, CSN, who retreats with his prizes to Urbanna, VA.
- The capture and destruction of the English blockade-runner, Hebe, off Wilmington, NC, by the US Naval Blockade fleet.
Tuesday August 23 1864
- The Confederate surrender of Fort Morgan, Mobile Bay, AL, leaves Wilmington, NC, as the last port open for Confederate blockade runners.
- Federal expedition to Clinton, LA, with skirmishes at Olive Branch and the Comite River (Aug 25), 17 miles from Baton Rouge, LA. (Aug 23-29)
- Federal expedition from Cassville, MO, to Fayetteville, AR, with skirmish at Gerald Mountain, AR. (Aug 23-28)
- Federal scout from Ozark, MO, to Dubuque Crossing and Sugar Loaf Prairie. (Aug 23-26)
- Affair at Webster, MO, as 50 guerrillas enter the town and plunder and rob it, before moving on.
- Skirmish at Abbeville, MS, as Brig. Gen. Joseph A. Mower's, USA, expedition from La Grange, TN, to Oxford, MS, draws to an end.
- Action on the Dinwiddie Road, near Reams' Station, VA, as the Union 5th Army Corps begins to dismantle the Weldon Railroad, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
- Skirmish at Kearneysville, WV, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
Wednesday August 23 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
You can make a donation of your choosing to ACWS using PayPal®.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2019 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2018 EVENTS
For Details Click here