Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Saturday October 19 1861
- Action at the Big Hurricane Creek, MO.
- Operations in the Kanawha and the New River Region, WV, with Brig. Gen. William S. Rosecrans, USA, and Brig. Gen. John B. Floyd, CSA. (Oct 19-Nov 16)
- Skirmishes on the New River, WV. (Oct 19-21)
Sunday October 19 1862
- Skirmish at Bardstown, KY.
- The Confederate Army of Tennessee, under Gen. Braxton Bragg, CSA, retire through Cumberland Gap, KY, taking with it large amounts of confiscated supplies from Kentucky. (Oct 19-24)
- Reconnaissance on Madison Road, KY.
- Skirmish at Pitman's Cross-Roads, KY.
- Skirmish at Wild Cat, KY.
- Skirmish at Bonnet Carre, Saint John Baptist Parrish, LA.
- Skirmish between Catlett's Station and Warrenton Junction VA.
Monday October 19 1863
- Lucius Fairchild, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish at Grand Coteau, LA, with Maj. Gen. William B. Franklin, USA.
- Skirmish at Smith's Bridge, MS.
- Skirmish at Honey Creek, MO, with bushwackers.
- Affair at Murrell's Inlet, (Myrtle Beach), SC, as the Confederates capture 11 Federals of a landing party arriving on barges who set out to recover the cargo aboard the blockade runner, the Rover, which ran aground here. The Confederates got the cargo as well as some prisoners.
- Skirmish at Spurgeon's Mill, TN.
- Skirmish at Zollicoffer, TN.
- The action at Buckland Mills, VA, or the Buckland Races, where Maj. Gen. JEB Stuart, CSA, routed Brig. Gen. H. Judson Kilpatrick's, USA, Cavalry forces, during the Bristoe Campaign.
- Skirmishes at Gainesville, New Baltimore, Catlett's Station, and Hay Market, VA, the Bristoe Campaign.
Wednesday October 19 1864
- The following are appointed Union Brigadier Generals:
- Alfred Gibbs, USA
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes, USA
- Charles Russell Lowell, USA
- William Henry Powell, USA
- Skirmish in Crawford County, AR, with guerrillas attacking local militia men, with casualties.
- Federal reconnaissance from Little Rock to Princeton, AR, with skirmish (Oct 23) at Hurricane Creek. (Oct 19-23)
- Skirmish at Ruff's Station, GA.
- Skirmishes near Turner's and Howell's Ferries, GA.
- Action at Lexington, MO, with Maj. Gen. Sterling Price, CSA.
- Skirmish near Montevallo, MO.
- Lieut. Bennett H. Young, CSA, and his band of about 25 Confederates cross the Canadian border about 15 miles and move on St. Albans, Vermont, where they rob 3 banks of over $200,000 before a dozen of the raiders flee back across the border and are captured but later released by the Canadian officials.
- The Battle of Cedar Creek, (or Bell Grove), VA, where Lieut. Gen. Jubal Early and his subordinates, Maj. Gens. John Brown Gordon and Joseph Brevard Keshaw, CSA, attack and overwhelm the Union forces and where Maj. Gen. Philip Sheridan, USA, regroups the disorganized, beaten back and retreating Union army of the 6th, 8th, and 19th US Army Corps, and repels the Confederate onslaught and effectively terminates the last major Confederate threat in the Shenandoah Valley, VA. Total casualties approximate 8,575.
- Maj. Gen. Stephen Dodson Ramseur, CSA, is mortally wounded at the Battle of Cedar Creek, VA, shot through both of his lungs and was captured.
- Brig. Gen. Daniel Davidson Bidwell, USA, is mortally wounded at the Battle of Cedar Creek, VA, while leading his men against the Confederates.
- Brig. Gen. Charles Russell Lowell, USA, is mortally wounded at the Battle of Cedar Breek, VA, while at the head of his brigade, receiving his deathwound during the Union counter attack against Lieut. Gen. Jubal Anderson Early's, CSA.
Thursday October 19 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
You can make a donation of your choosing to ACWS using PayPal®.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2018 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd