Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Saturday June 15 1861
- The Federal occupation of Edwards' and Conrads' ferries, Potomac River, MD, by Brig. Gen. Charles P. Stone, USA.
Sunday June 15 1862
- The US Naval descent upon and bombardment of Saint Mark's, FL.
- The Federal expedition to Holly Springs and skirmish at the Tallahatchie Bridge, MS, with Brig. Gen. William T. Sherman, USA. (Jun 15-18)
- Action at Big Creek Gap, TN.
- Parley between Brig. Gen. Howell Cobb, CSA, and Col. Thomas M. Key, USA, under flag of truce, with discussions for the exchange of prisoners, VA.
- Federal reconnaissance to the vicinity of New Market, VA.
- Skirmish near Seven Pines, VA, with Brig. Gen. Daniel E. Sickles, USA, commanding the 2nd Brigade, as Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, USA, continues on his campaign for Richmond, VA.
Monday June 15 1863
- Action near Richmond, LA.
- Skirmish near Williamsport, MD.
- Federal operations in Northwestern Mississippi, as Maj. Gen. Stephen A. Hurlbut, USA, 16th US Army Corps, orders 1,900 Union cavalry at La Grange, to attack the railroad line at Panola, and to sweep the country of forage, wheat, animals, etc. (Jun 15-25)
- Maj. Gen. JEB Stuart's CSA raid on Chambersburg, PA, as Lieut. Gen. James Longstreet, CSA, begins to move his corps from Culpeper, VA, northwest through Asby's and Snicker's Gaps, VA.
- Federal expedition to and skirmish near, Lebanon, TN. (Jun 15-17)
- Affair near Trenton, TN.
- The CSS Tacony continues to evade Union warships and attack Federal vessels off the Atlantic Coast, VA.
Wednesday June 15 1864
- The capture of the steamer, J.R. Williams, by Col. Stand Watie, CSA, in the Arkansas River, and skirmish at San Bois Creek, the Indian Territory. (Jun 15-16)
- The attack on the Union gun-boats at:
- Ratliff's (Jun 15)
- Como (Jun 15 & 16)
- Magnolia Landings (Jun 16)
- and skirmish (Jun 17) at Newport Cross-Roads, LA.
- Skirmish near White Hare, MO, where the Federals meet up with the guerrillas who burned Melville, MO, routing the guerrillas.
- Skirmish near Moscow, TN.
- The Union forces evacuate Pass Cavallo, TX.
- Skirmish at Malvern Hill, VA, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
- Assaults on the Confederate Petersburg, VA, lines fail as Gen. Pierre G.T. Beauregard resists Grant's attack, the Richmond, VA, Campaign. (Jun 15-18)
- Skirmish near Smith's Store, VA, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
- Brig. Gen. Alfred H. Terry, USA, is temporary in command of the 10th US Army Corps, over vice Maj. Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore, USA,, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Thursday June 15 1865
- Federal scout from Fort Sumner to the Oscura Mountains, the New Mexico Territory, where the Yankees destroy the camp of the Navajo Indian tribe. (Jun 15-22)
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
You can make a donation of your choosing to ACWS using PayPal®.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2019 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2018 EVENTS
For Details Click here