Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Monday October 14 1861
- The Confederate Dept. of Alabama and West Florida is constituted, under the command of Maj. Gen. Braxton Bragg, CSA.
- Col. George Wright, 9th US Infantry, transfers the command of the District of Southern California to Col. James H. Carleton, 1st California Infantry.
- Skirmish at Beckwith's farm, 12 miles from Bird's Point, and the subsequent fight at Underwood's farm, near Bird's Point, MO.
- Affair at Linn Creek, MO, with the 29th IL Infantry.
- The Honorable Simon Cameron, US Secretary of War, authorizes Brig. Gen. Thomas West Sherman, USA, commanding at Port Royal, SC, to organize and arm, if necessary, squads of fugitive, captured slaves.
Tuesday October 14 1862
- Francis Redding Tilloou Nicholls, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Gustave Paul Cluseret, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish at Trenton, AR.
- Skirmishes at Lancaster and on the Crab Orchard Road, KY.
- Skirmish at Manchester, KY.
- Skirmishes near Mountan Gap, KY. (Oct 14-16)
- Skirmish at Stanford, KY.
- Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, CSA, assumes the command of the Confederate Dept. of the Mississippi and East Louisiana, including the forces operating in Southwestern Tennessee.
- Skirmish at Hazel Bottom, MO.
Wednesday October 14 1863
- Skirmish at Creek Agency, the Indian Territory.
- Skirmishes at Carrion Crow Bayou, LA, with Maj. Gen. William B. Franklin, USA. (Oct 14-15)
- Federal expedition from Messinger's Ferry, on the Big Black River, toward Canton, MS. (Oct 14-20)
- Federal expeditions from Natchez and Fort Adams, MS, to Red River, LA, with skirmish at Red River. (Oct 14). (Oct 14-20)
- Skirmish near Man's Creek, Shannon County, MO.
- Skirmish at Scott's Ford, MO, with Col. Joseph O. Shelby, CSA.
- Skirmish at Blountsville, TN.
- Skirmish near Loudoun, TN.
- The Engagement at Bristoe Station, VA, where Maj. Gen. A.P. Hill, CSA, attacks the retreating rearguard forces of Maj. Gen. George Meade, USA, but is repulsed.
- Brig. Gen. Carnot Posey, CSA, is slightly wounded at the engagement at Bristoe Station, VA; however, infection sets in on the wound.
- Skirmishes at Saint Stephen's Church, Catlett's Station, Gainesville, and Grove Church, and near Centreville and Brentsville, VA, the Bristoe Campaign.
- Skirmish at Salt Lick Bridge, WV, with Brig. Gen. William W. Averell's, USA, Cavalry which chase the Confederates toward Addison, in Webster County.
- Maj. Gen. Christopher C. Augur, USA, supersedes Maj. Gen. Samuel P. Heintzelman, USA, in the command of the Dept. of Washington, DC, and the 22nd US Army Corps.
Friday October 14 1864
- Skirmish near Fort Smith, AR.
- Skirmish at Adamstown, MD.
- Maj. Gen. Sterling Price's, CSA, attack on Danville, MO, where the Rebels burn the post office.
- Skirmish near Glasgow, MO, as Maj. Gen. Sterling Price, CSA, forces continue to wear down, both man power and horses.
- Skirmish at the Boca Chica Pass, TX.
- Skirmish at Strasburg (or Hupp's Hill), VA, as Lieut. Gen. Jubal Early, CSA, and Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, forces are only a couple miles apart from each other.
- Affair at Duffield's Station, WV, Shenandoah Valley Campaign.
Saturday October 14 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2019 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2020 EVENTS
For Details Click here