Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 160 Years Ago (More ...)
Monday July 29 1861
- The Baltimore MD Police Commissioners, from their prison, memorialize Congress for redress.
- Skirmish at Edwards Ferry, MD.
- Brig. Gen. John Pope, USA, assumes the command in North Missouri, with instructions to protect the railroads and and to suppress all local disorders.
Tuesday July 29 1862
- Skirmish near Albee's Ranch, CA.
- Skirmish at Russellville, KY, with Confederate guerrillas.
- Skirmish at Arrow Rock, MO.
- Skirmish at Bloomfield, MO.
- Federal operations in Saline County, MO, with guerrillas. (Jul 9-Aug 2)
- Affair at Hatchie Bottom, near Denmark, TN, as Brig. Gen. John Logan's, USA, cavalry is routed by Confederate cavalry.
- Federal reconnaissance from Harrison's Landing to Saint Mary's Church, VA.
- Operations about Orange Court-House, VA.
- "Belle Boyd" is arrested by Union troops near Warrenton, VA, and charged with spying for the Confederacy.
Wednesday July 29 1863
- Brig. Gen. Edward Needles Kirk, USA, dies at Sterling, IL, from his battle wounds received Dec 31 '62, at the Battle of Murfreesboro, TN.
- Skirmish near, and the Federal occupation of, Bridgeport, AL.
- Skirmishes at the Missouri River, with the Sioux Indians, the Dakota Territory. (Jul 29-30)
- Skirmish at Paris, KY, with Scott's Confederate Raiders.
- Skirmish near Winchester, KY, with Scott's Confederate Raiders.
- Skirmish with Indians at Conchas Springs, the New Mexico Territory.
- Skirmish near Fort Donelson, TN.
- Brig. Gen. Innis N. Palmer, USA, assumes the command of the 18th US Army Corps, the Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina.
Friday July 29 1864
- Thomas Benton Smith, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmishes near Napoleonville, LA, between Paincourtville and Lake Natchez, where the attacking Rebels are repulsed.
- Affair at Highland Stockade, near Baton Rouge, LA, where some Union pickets were shot and severely wounded by the Rebels.
- Federal expedition from Warrensburg to Chapel Hill, MO, with skirmish near Chapel Hill. (Jul 30). (Jul 29-Aug 2)
- Skirmish at Hagerstown, MD, as Lieut. Gen. Jubal Early, CSA, orders Confederate cavalry under Brig. Gen. John McCausland to move back into Maryland and Pennsylvania.
- Skirmish at Clear Spring, MD.
- Skirmish at Mercersburg, PA, with Brig. Gen. John McCausland, CSA.
Saturday July 29 1865
- No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2021 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2021 EVENTS
For Details Click here