Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
To all our Members and Guests
Xmas Graphics from My Free Clipart
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Thursday December 12 1861
- The Dept. of Alabama and West Florida, is extended to embrace Pasagoula Bay and that portion of Mississippi east of the Pasagoula River.
- The District of Humboldt is created, to consist of the following Northern California Counties:
- Del Norte
Col. Francis J. Lippitt, 2nd California Infantry, is assigned to its command.
- Skirmish at Gradyville, KY.
- Skirmish at Charleston, MO.
- Skirmish at Greenbrier River, WV.
Friday December 12 1862
- Brig. Gen. Maxcy Gregg, CSA, is mortally wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg, VA, after his men had stacked their rifles, fearing no attack from the Federals, who thereupon charged, firing into the unprepared Confederates.
- Skirmishes at Cherokee Station and Little Bear Creek, AL.
- The Federal expedition up the Yazoo River, MS, witness the first Union vessel to be sunk by a torpedo, the USS Cairo, north of Vicksburg, MS.
- Union naval operations on the Neuse River, NC. (Dec 12-15)
- Skirmish at Dumfries, VA.
- Skirmish between Harper's Ferry and Leesburg, VA.
- White's operations in Loudoun County, VA, and raid (Dec 14) on Poolesville, MD. (Dec 12-20)
- Maj. Gen. Arnold Elsey, CSA, is assigned to the command of the Richmond, VA, defenses.
- Federal reconnaissance from North Mountain to Bunker Hill, WV.
Saturday December 12 1863
- Skirmish at La Fayette, GA, where the Federal Cavalry captures Rebel prisoners there, camps for the night at Pigeon Ridge, 5 miles from La Fayette, crosses the Chickamauga at a bridge 3 miles above Crawfish Springs, and scouts through McLemore's Cove.
- Skirmish at Cheek's Cross-Roads, near Knoxville, TN, the Knoxville, TN, Campaign.
- Skirmishes at Russellville, TN, the Knoxville, TN, Campaign. (Dec 12-13)
- Brig. Gen. Samuel D. Sturgis, USA, is assigned to the command of all the cavalry serving in the Dept. of the Ohio, TN,, the Knoxville, TN, Campaign.
- Skirmishes at and near Strasburg, VA. (Dec 12-13)
- Federal expedition from Williamsburg to Charles City Court-House, VA, and skirmish, as the Federals capture a sizeable amount of supplies, horses, etc, in addition to 90 prisoners. (Dec 12-14)
- Skirmish at Gatewood's, WV, with Brig. Gen. William W. Averell, USA.
- Skirmishes at Lewisburg and Greenbrier River, WV, with an Union Cavalry expedition.
Monday December 12 1864
- The capture of the Confederate steamer, Resolute, on the Savannah, River, GA, the "March to the Sea," Campaign by Maj. Gen. Wm Sherman.
- Communications are established between Gen. William T. Sherman's USA, and the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, under the command of Rear-Admiral Dahlgren, Savannah, GA. Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman has now truly reached the sea.
- Skirmish on the Amite River, LA.
- Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas, USA, prepares to attack Lieut. Gen. John B. Hood, CSA, outside Nashville, TN, as soon as the ice and sleet melts.
- Maj. Gen. George Stoneman's, USA, command (that of Brig. Gen. Stephan G. Burbridge's and Brig. Gen. Alvan C. Gillem's forces) advances from Bean's Station, TN, with skirmish at Big Creek, near Rogersville, TN.
Tuesday December 12 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
You can make a donation of your choosing to ACWS using PayPal®.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2018 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd