Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 160 Years Ago (More ...)
Thursday February 28 1861
- The US Congress votes to create the Colorado Territory.
- Pro-Unionists in North Carolina win in their bid to suppress a state convention to be held for the issue of secession.
Friday February 28 1862
- Affair at Osage Springs, near Fayetteville, AR.
- Brig. Gen. Samuel Jones, CSA, supersedes Maj. Gen. Braxton Bragg, CSA, in the command of the Dept. of Alabama and West Florida.
- The Florida Federal expedition sails from Warsaw Sound.
- Operations at New Madris, MO, and Island No. 10, and the descent upon Union City, TN. (Feb 28-Apr 8)
- Union forces, under Brig. Gen. John Pope, USA, advance from Commerce upon New Madrid, and Island No. 10, MO.
- Charleston, VA, is occupied by the Federal forces.
Saturday February 28 1863
- Edward Johnson, C.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.
- Daniel Chevilette Govan, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- The destruction of the Confederate steamer Nashville (Rattlesnake), by the USS Montauk, on the Ogeechee River, south of Savannah, GA; the USS Seneca, Wissahickon, and Dawn assisting.
- Federal naval attack on Fort McAllister, GA, following the above.
- Skirmish near Fort Gibson, the Indian Territory.
Sunday February 28 1864
- Skirmishes on the Pearl River, the Meridian, MS, Expedition.
- Skirmish near Yazoo City, MS, the Meridian, MS, Expedition.
- Skirmish at Dukedom, TN, with a Confederate party raiding the Paducah Railroad. The Federals attack and capture some men.
- Lieut. Gen. John Bell Hood, CSA, is assigned to the command of the 2nd Army Corps, the Confederate Army of Tennessee.
- Federal scout in Gloucester County, VA, with little action.
- Brig. Gen. George Armstong Custer's, USA, Cavalry raid into Albemarle County, VA, as a diversionary tactic for Brig. Gen. Hugh Judson Kilpatrick's expedition against Richmond, VA. (Feb 28-Mar 1)
- Brig. Gen. Hugh Judson Kilpatrick's, USA, Cavalry Expedition against Richmond, VA, in an attempt to rescue Federal Prisoners of War held at Belle Island Prison. (Feb 28-Mar 4)
- Affair at Ely's Ford, VA, with Brig. Gen. Kilpatrick, USA.
Tuesday February 28 1865
- Nathan Bedford Forrest. CSA. is appointed Lieut. Gen.
- Tyree Harris Bell, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish near Cheraw, SC, with the advancing Union forces under Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman, USA.
- Skirmish near Rocky Mount, SC.
- The following commands are reorganized as follows:
- District of Middle Tennessee - Maj. Gen. Lovell H. Rousseau
- District of West Tennessee - Maj. Gen. Cadwallder Washburn
- District of East Tennessee - Maj. Gen. George Stoneman
- District of Etowah, Tennessee - Maj. Gen. James B. Steedman,
Monday February 29 1864
- Hiram Bronson Granbury, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish on Redwood Creek, CA, with the Redwood Indians, as Brig. Gen. George Wright, USA, commanding the Dept. of the Pacific, proclaims that the Indian war is being prosecuted vigorously and successfully.
- Skirmish near Canton, MS, the Meridian, MS, Expedition.
- Federal expedition from Rolla, MO, aboard the Pacific Railroad, to Batesville, AR, seizing corn and fighting bushwackers. (Feb 29-Mar 13)
- Skirmish at Stanardsville, VA, with Brig. Gen. George Armstrong Custer, USA.
- Skirmishes at Ballahock, on Bear Quarter road, and at Deep Creek, VA, with loss of life. (Feb 29-Mar 1)
- Skirmish at Beaver Dam Station, VA, as Brig. Gen. H. Judson Kilpatrick USA, splits his command and sends part of it under Col. Ulric Dahlgren, USA, towards Gochland Court House, VA.
- Skirmish at Charlottesville, VA, as Brig. Gen. George A. Custer, USA, continues on his diversionary expedition.
- Skirmish near Taylorsville, VA, with Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick's, USA, Cavalry raid on Richmond.
- The US expedition to Petersburg and the destruction of the saltpeter-works near Franklin, WV. (Feb 29-Mar 5)
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2021 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd