Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Thursday August 8 1861
- Henry Hayes Lockwood, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Brig. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA, assumes the command of the District of Ironton, MO.
- Skirmish at Lovettsville, VA.
Friday August 8 1862
- Due to continued guerrilla firing into railroad cars, local ministers are arrested by the Union troops and placed aboard each train, at Huntsville, AL.
- West Florida is transferred from the Dept. of the South to the Dept. of the Gulf.
- Skirmish near Newtonia, MO.
- Skirmish on Panther Creek, MO.
- Skirmish near Stockton, Macon County, MO.
- Action near Madison Court-House, VA.
- Skirmish near Slaughter's House, VA.
Saturday August 8 1863
- Skirmish at Rienzi, MS.
- Affair on Clear Creek, near Ball Town, MO.
- Skirmish at Waterford, VA, as the Rebels attack the Federal Cavalry not far from Harper's Ferry, WV.
- Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA, depressed over the results at Gettysburg, PA, offers his resignation to President Jefferson Davis, who flatly rejects such notion.
Monday August 8 1864
- James Deering Fessenden, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Fort Gaines, AL, Dauphin Island, in Mobile Bay, is surrendered by Col. Charles D. Anderson, CSA, without the approval of his superiors.
- Federal scout against Indians from Camp Anderson to Bald Mountain, CA, where the Indians flee into the thick timber in the direction of the Hoopa Valley. (Aug 8-12)
- Action with the Sioux Indians on the Little Missouri River, the Dakota Territory.
- Federal scout against Indians from Salina to Mulberry Creek, KS. (Aug 8-11)
- Skirmish at Salem, KY.
- Skirmish at La Fayette, TN.
- Skirmish at Fairfax Station, VA.
Tuesday August 8 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2020 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd