Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Sunday November 17 1861
- Skirmish at Cypress Bridge, near Rumsey, McClean County, KY.
Monday November 17 1862
- The USS San Jacinto lies in wait off the Caribbean island of Martinique for the Confederate steamer, CSS Alabama, but fails to prevent her from leaving port.
- Operations about Cassville and Keetsvile, MO. (Nov 17-18)
- Federal expedition from Sparta, TN, into KY. (Nov 17-29)
- Affair near Carrsville, VA, with Confederate Cavalry.
- Skirmish at Falmouth, on the Rappahannock River and across from Fredericksburg, VA, with the freshly arrived Army of the Potomac.
- President Jefferson Davis appoints Maj. Gen. Gustavus Woodson Smith, CSA, as acting Confederate Secretary of War, Richmond, VA.
Tuesday November 17 1863
- Skirmish near Willow Creek on the Trinity River, C A, with Indians.
- Skirmish at Bay Saint Louis, MS.
- Federal scout around Houston, MO. (Nov 17-26)
- The massive Union bombardment of Fort Sumter, SC, continues.
- The Siege of Knoxville, TN, begins by Lieut. Gen. James Longstreet, CSA, the Knoxville, TN, Campaign. Nov 17-Dec 4)
- The capture of the Confederate battery at Arkansas Pass, TX, by Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks' USA, expeditionary forces.
- Brig. Gen. William W. Averell's US Cavalry command reaches New Creek, WV, ending his cavalry expedition to Lewisburg, WV.
Thursday November 17 1864
- Godfrey Weitzel, U.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.
- Skirmish near Maysville, AL.
- Skirmish near New Market, AL.
- Federal expedition from Little Rock to Pagan's Ford, Saline River, AR. (Nov 17-18)
- Affair at Towaliga Bridge, GA, as Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, USA, takes four different routes to the sea in an attempt to confuse the Confederates.
- Federal expedition from Brashear City to Bayou Portage, LA, with skirmish (Nov 18) at Lake Fausse Pointe, LA. (Nov 17-19)
- Skirmish at Flat Creek, TN, as Maj. Gen. John C. Breckinridge's, CSA, latest expedition is concluded.
- President Jefferson Davis, CSA, objects to any motion by several Georgia State Senators to discuss a separate peace treaty with the Federal government, Richmond, VA.
Friday November 17 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2019 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2020 EVENTS
For Details Click here