Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Monday August 19 1861
- Henry Wager Halleck, U.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.
- John James Peck, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- James Shields, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish at Charleston, or Bird's Point, MO, across the river from Cairo, IL, with a Union victory over the Missouri State Guard.
- Skirmish at Klapsford, MO.
- Newspaper offices in Easton and West Chester, PA, are raided by Pro-unionist men, while the editor of the Haverhill, MA, newspaper is tarred and feathered by an anti-South mob.
Tuesday August 19 1862
- James Birdseye McPherson, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Orlando Bolivar Willcox, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish on Clear Creek, AR.
- Federal scout from Woodville to Guntersville, AL, and vicinity. (Aug 19-20)
- Federal Expedition against the Snake Indians in Idaho. (Aug 19-Oct 11)
- Skirmish at Tallulah, LA.
- Sioux Indians move on New Ulm, MN, past Fort Ridgely.
- Federal expedition from Rienzi to Marietta and Bay Springs, MS, and skirmishes. (Aug 19-21)
- The US Dept. of the Ohio is re-established, comprising of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Kentucky east of the Tennessee River; Maj. Gen. Horatio G. Wright, USA, commanding.
- Col. John Hunt Morgan's, CSA, raid on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, with skirmishes:
- at Pilot Knob,
- Drakes' Creek, and
- Manscoe Creek, near Edgefield Junction (Aug 20), and
- action (Aug 21) on the Hartsville Road, near Gallatin, TN.
Wednesday August 19 1863
- Henry Watkins Allen, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- The capture of the Confederate signal station at Saint John's Mill, near Jacksonville, FL, by crew members of the USS Hale and the USS Norwich.
- Skirmish at Weems' Springs, TN.
- The destruction of Confederate saltpeter-works near Franklin, WV, by Brig. Gen. William Woods Averell, USA.
Friday August 19 1864
- Federal scout for Indians on the Republican River, KS. (Aug 19-24)
- Skirmish at Hurricane Creek, MS, with Brig. Gen. Joseph A. Mower, USA.
- Lieut. Gen. A. P. Hill, CSA, attacks the Union forces on the Weldon Railroad, capturing 2,500 and pushing the Federals back, but not away from the railroad, a vital Confederate link.
- Skirmish at Berryville, VA, with Lieut. Gen. Jubal Early, CSA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
- Skirmish near Opequon Creek, on the Berryville and Winchester Pike, VA, with Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
- Skirmish at Franklin, WV.
Saturday August 19 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2017 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2017 EVENTS
For Details Click here