Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Saturday July 20 1861
- Federal expedition from Springfield to Forsyth, MO. (Jul 20-25)
- Brig. Gen. William W. Loring, CSA, is assigned to the command of the "Northwestern Army" (WV).
Sunday July 20 1862
- Skirmish at Gaines' Landing, AR, with Brig. Gen. Samuel Curtis, USA.
- Affair at Hatchie Bottom, MS, where a Union Cavalry company is surrounded and captured.
- Skirmish at Greenville, MO, where the Confederates overrun the Federal camp there in a surprise attack.
- Skirmish at Taberville, MO.
Monday July 20 1863
- Operations against Indians in Round Valley, CA, as the Federals track and kill a party of Ukie Indians. (Jul 20-26)
- Skirmish at Cabin Creek, the Indian Territory.
- Skirmish at Coal Hill, near Cheshire, OH, with Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan, CSA.
- Skirmish near Hockingport, OH, with Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan.
- Skirmishes at Tarborough and Sparta, NC, with Brig. Gen. Edward E. Potter, USA.
- Federal navel bombardment of Legare's Point, James Island, SC.
- Federal scouts from Memphis, TN to within 3 miles of Hernando, another within 24 miles from Memphis, burning some cotton. (Jul 20-21)
- Skirmish at Ashby's Gap, VA, between Gen. Robert E. Lee's Confederate and Maj. Gen. George Meade's Federal forces.
- Skirmish near Berry's Ferry, VA, as Maj. Gen. George Meade, USA, begins to pursue Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA, into Virginia.
- Brig. Gen. George W. Getty, USA, assumes the command of the 7th US Army Corps, Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina.
Wednesday July 20 1864
- Federal expedition from Fort Boise to Boonville, the Idaho Territory, against Indians. Upon returning to Boonville, the Federal troops learn that local citizens took the law into their own hands, attacking a large party of (mostly women and children) Indians, scalping 35, of which only about 5 were men. Infants were thrown against rocks and killed. (Jul 20-Aug 17)
- The Battle of Peach Tree Creek, GA, as Gen. John Bell Hood, CSA, fails in his attack, under Lieut. Gen. William Hardee, CSA, on the Union lines under Maj. Gen. George H. Thomas, losing almost 3 men to every 1 Union loss. Total casualties approximate 6,600.
- Brig. Gen. Clement Hoffman Stevens, CSA, is mortally wounded at the Battle of Peach Tree Creek, GA, while leading his men.
- Guerrilla attack on Arrow Rock, Western MO.
- Federal operations in La Fayette and Johnson Counties, MO, with skirmishes with guerrillas in the vicinity of Arrow Rock and Mount Prairie. (Jul 20-31)
- The Federals continue to bombard Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor, SC.
- Skirmish in Blount County, TN.
- Skirmish at Philomont, VA.
- Engagement at Stephenson's Depot, VA, as Union cavalry under Brig. Gen. William W. Averell, USA, capture over 250 Confederates, as Lieut. Gen. Jubal Early, CSA, withdraws up the Shenandoah Valley towards Strasburg, VA.
Thursday July 20 1865
- No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
You can make a donation of your choosing to ACWS using PayPal®.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2019 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2018 EVENTS
For Details Click here