Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Sunday September 15 1861
- Skirmish at Pritchard's Mill, or Darnestown, VA, near the Antietam Ford, MD, with Col. John W. Geary 28th PA Vol.
- Gen. Albert Sidney Johnston, CSA, supersedes Maj. Gen. Leonidas Polk, CSA, in the command of the Confederate Dept. Number 2 in Missouri.
Monday September 15 1862
- Joseph Robert Davis, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- William Henry Fitzhugh Lee, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Henry Jackson Hunt, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish at Boonsborough, MD.
- Skirmish on the Antietam Creek, near Keedysville, MD.
- Federal scout in Rails County, MO. (Sep 15-20)
- Maj. Gen. Stonewall Jackson, CSA, captures Harper's Ferry, WV.
- Maj. Gen. Joseph King Fenno Mansfield, USA, assumes the command of the 12th US Army Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Tuesday September 15 1863
- George Douglas Ramsay, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmishes at Catlett's Gap, Pigeon Mountain, GA, as Maj. Gen. William S. Rosecrans, USA, and Gen. Braxton Bragg, CSA, concentrate their forces, the Chickamauga Campaign. (Sep 15-18)
- Skirmish at Summerville, GA, the Chickamauga Campaign.
- Skirmish at Trion Factory, GA, the Chickamauga Campaign.
- Maj. Gen. Edward O. C. Ord, USA, resumes the command of the 13th US Army Corps, the Dept. of the Gulf, LA.
- Federal scout from Greenfield, MO, where a Union private is caught and murdered. The Federals burn everything from a pigpen to a mansion on Cedar and Horse Creeks.
- Skirmish at ', Jackson County, MO, at William C. Quantrill's camp.
- Federal scout from Fort Wingate to Ojo Redondo (Jacob's Well), the New Mexico Territory, where the Federals capture some Navajoes, destroy some vegetable and wheat fields, and the Zuni Indians show off some of their scalps taken in a war party against the Navajoes, etc. (Sep 15-Oct 5)
- The explosion of a magazine, believed to be due to faulty ammunition, at Battery Cheves, James Island, near Charleston, SC, kills 6 Confederate soldiers.
- Federal expedition from Great Bridge, VA, to Indiantown, NC, where the Federals are ambushed, with loss of life. (Sep 15-19)
- Affair near Kempsville, VA.
Thursday September 15 1864
- Basil Wilson Duke, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish in Lumpkin County, GA.
- Skirmish at Snake Creek Gap, GA.
- Federal operations in Randolph, Howard, and Boone Counties, MO, with skirmishes at Columbia (Sep 16). (Sep 15-19)
- Federal reconnaissance toward Dinwiddie Court-House, and skirmish, Richmond, VA, Campaign.
- Skirmish at Servers' Ford, Opequon Creek, VA, the Shenandoah Valley, Campaign.
Friday September 15 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
You can make a donation of your choosing to ACWS using PayPal®.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2019 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd