Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Tuesday March 26 1861
- Col. Earl Van Dorn, CSA, reports of his arrival in Texas for the purpose of securing the adhesion of the US troops to the Confederate cause.
Wednesday March 26 1862
- Daniel Harvey Hill, C.S.A., is appointed Maj. Gen.
- William Nelson Pendleton, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Gordon Granger, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish near Denver City, Colorado Territory, results in the capture of 50 Confederate cavalrymen.
- Skirmish near Gouge's Mill, 15 miles east of Booneville, MO.
- Action at Humansville, MO, where State militia repel the Confederates.
- Skirmish at Warrensburg, or near Briar, MO.
- Action on the Post Oak, at mouth of the Brier, MO, with Brig. Gen. James Totten, USA.
- Skirmish at Apache Canon, near Johnson's Ranch, the New Mexico Territory results in a Union victory as they withdraw to Pigeon's Ranch, near Glorietta, under Maj. John M. Chivington, 1st Colorado Infantry.
- The Confederate Dept. of Henrico, under the command of Brig. Gen. John Henry Winder, CSA, is extended to embrace the city of Petersburg and vicinity, VA.
Thursday March 26 1863
- Federal reconnaissance from Murfreesborough to Bradyville, TN.
- Federal expedition from Camp Douglas to the Cedar Mountains, the Utah Territory, and skirmish with Indians (Goshutes) believed to be spending the winter in the Mormon settlements of Tooele Valley and who have been attacking the Overland Mail route (Apr 1) at Cedar Fort, as the Federals charge the Mormons of encouraging the Indians. (Mar 26-Apr 3)
Saturday March 26 1864
- Skirmish near Quitman, AR.
- Skirmish at Campti, LA, the Red River (LA) Campaign.
- Skirmish at Clinton, MS.
- Skirmish near Black Jack Church, near Greenville, NC.
- Maj. Gen. James Birdseye McPherson, USA, assumes the command of the Army of the Tennessee, under Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, USA.
- Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA, joins the Army of the Potomac, currently headquarterd at Culpeper Court House, VA.
Sunday March 26 1865
- Skirmish at Muddy Creek, AL, the Mobile, AL, Campaign.
- Union forces enter Pollard, AL, the Mobile, AL, Campaign.
- Skirmish near Spanish Fort, AL, with Maj. Gen. E.R.S.Canby.
- Skirmish in Bath County, beyond Owingsville, KY.
- Federal expedition from Bonnet Carre to the Amite River, LA, in search of the Confederate guerrillas who captured the local provost-marshal of this parish, meeting with no success, as they searched everywhere. (Mar 26-29)
- Maj. Gen. Philip Henry Sheridan's US Cavalry command crosses the James River, VA, to combine forces with Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA. As Grant laid low and continued to apply pressure on the Army of Northern Virginia, he allowed the other Union armies to one by one dissect the bowels of the Confederacy.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2017 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
UPCOMING 2017 EVENTS
For Details Click here