Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Thursday January 17 1861No events on this date.
Friday January 17 1862
- Federal Gunboat demonstrations on Fort Henry, on the Tennessee River, TN, led by Brig. Gen. Charles Ferguson Smith, USA, in conjunction with the Jan 15 advance under Brig. Gen. John McClernand, USA, as heavy ice blocked the Mississippi River some twenty miles below St. Louis, MO. (Jan 17-22)
Saturday January 17 1863
- The following are appointed Confederate Major Generals:
- Daniel Smith Donelson, C.S.A.
- Jubal Anderson Early, C.S.A.
- Isaac Ridgeway Trimble, C.S.A.
- The following are appointed Confederate Brigadier Generals:
- Henry Lewis Benning, CSA
- Robert Frederick Hoke, CSA
- Samuel McGowan, CSA
- William Tatum Wofford, CSA
- The Army of the Mississippi, under Maj. Gen. John McClernand, USA, is ordered by Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA, to re-embark for Milliken's Bend, LA, near Vicksburg, MS, after moving against Arkansas Post, AR without authorization.
- Federal reconnaissance from New Berne to Pollocksville, Trenton, Young's Cross-Roads, and Onslow, NC, and skirmishes: (Dec 19) at White Oak Creek and (Dec 20) near Jacksonville, NC. (Dec 17-21)
- Brig. Gen. Daniel Smith Donelson, CSA, is assigned to the command of the Dept. of East Tennessee, vice Brig. Gen. Henry Heth, CSA, is ordered to Virginia.
- Skirmish near Newtown, WV.
Sunday January 17 1864
- Federal scouts from Brownsville, AR, against guerrillas. (Jan 17-19)
- Skirmish at Lewisburg, AR.
- Brig. Gen. Orlando B. Wilcox, USA, supersedes Brig. Gen. Robert B. Potter, USA, in the command of the 9th US Army Corps, Knoxville, TN.
- Affairs near Ellis' and Ely's Fords, VA, where the Confederates ambush, surround and capture a Union patrol at Ellis' Ford; also another party fires from dense pine trees on three sides into the Federal patrol at Ely's Ford, killing and capturing these Federals as well.
Tuesday January 17 1865
- The 2nd Division, 19th US Army Corps, commanded by Bvt. Maj. Gen. Cavier Grover, USA, arrives at Savannah, GA. (Jan 17-20)
- Bvt. Maj. Gen. George W. Getty, USA, is placed in temporary command of the 6th US Army Corps, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2020 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2020 EVENTS
For Details Click here