Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Tuesday August 20 1861
- William Farquhar Barry, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- John Fulton Reynolds, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Confederate attack on the railroad train near Lookout Station, MO.
- Skirmish at Fish Lake, MO.
- Brig. Gen. Richard Caswell Gatlin, CSA, assumes the command of the defenses of North Carolina.
- Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, USA, assumes the command of the Dept., or Army of the Potomac, VA.
- Skirmish at the Hawk's Nest, WV.
- Skirmish at Laurel Fork Creek, WV.
Wednesday August 20 1862
- Skirmish at Baton Rouge, LA.
- Maj. Gen. Richard Taylor, CSA, is assigned to the command of the District of West Louisiana.
- The Sioux Indians unsuccessfully attack Fort Ridgely, MN.
- Federal scout in Wayne, Stoddard, and Dunklin Counties, MO, including Bloomfield, Four Mile, Union Mills, MO. (Aug 20-27)
- Skirmish at Pilot Knob, or Edgefield Junction, TN.
- The Districts of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas are constituted into the Confederate Trans-Mississippi Dept.
- The Army of the Potomac embarks for Aquia Creek and for Alexandria, VA, with the 5th US Army Corps embarking at Newport News, VA. (Aug 20-Sep 10)
- Skirmishes at Raccoon Ford, Stevensburg, Brandy Station, Rappahannock Station, and near Kelly's Ford, VA. Maj. Gen. John Pope, USA vs. Maj. Gen. Stonewall Jackson.
Thursday August 20 1863
- Cullen Andrews Battle, CSA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- William Clarke Quantrill's Raid into Kansas, and the pursuit by the Union forces. (Aug 20-28)
- Maj. Gen. William B. Franklin, USA, assumes the command of the 29th US Army Corps, LA.
- The 2nd Division, 9th US Army Corps, arrives from Vicksburg, MS, at Covington, KY, en route for East Tennessee.
- Federal expedition aboard transports, from Vicksburg, MS, to Monroe, LA, including skirmishes (Aug 24) at Bayou Macon and at Floyd. (Aug 20-Sep 2)
- Operations against the Navajo Indians in the New Mexico Territory by Col. Kit Carson, USA. (Aug 20-Dec 16)
- The Confederates' unsuccessful attempt to destroy the US Steamer, the USS New Ironsides, off Charleston Harbor, SC, with a torpedo ship, as the Federals continue to bombard Fort Surnter for the 4th straight day. (Aug 20-21)
- The District of Utah is declared to include the Territory of Utah, Camp Ruby, the Nevada Territory, and the new post at Soda Springs, the Idaho Territory.
Saturday August 20 1864
- Skirmish near Rocheport, MO.
- The burning of Legareville, SC, by the Federal forces, near Charleston Harbor, SC, and vicinity.
- Skirmish at Pine Bluff, TN, as the Confederates defeat the Federals confronting them.
- Skirmish at Berryville, VA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
- Skirmish at Opequon Creek, VA, the Shenandoah Valley, VA, Campaign.
- Skirmish at Bulltown, WV.
Sunday August 20 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2018 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd