Welcome to the American Civil War Society (UK)
On This Day - 155 Years Ago (More ...)
Tuesday September 24 1861
- James Ewell Brown (JEB) Stuart, CS A, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Skirmish at Point of Rocks, MD, with Col. John Geary, 28th PA Vols.
Wednesday September 24 1862
- Mason Brayman, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Nathaniel James Jackson, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- Maj. Gen. Samuel R. Curtis, USA, assumes the command of the Dept. of Missouri.
- Skirmish at Granby, MO.
- Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, CSA, relieves Maj. Gen. John C. Pemberton in the command of the Dept. of South Carolina and Georgia.
- Affair on Skull Creek, SC.
- Engagement at Sabine Pass, TX. (Sep 24-25)
- The District of West Tennessee is reorganized. Maj. Gens. Sherman, Ord, and Rosecrans, and Brig. Gen. Quinby, USA, are assigned to divisions.
Thursday September 24 1863
- Federal expeditions from Carrollton and Baton Rouge to the New River and to the Amite River, LA. (Sep 24-29)
- Skirmish at Zollicoffer, TN.
- Skirmish at Bristoe Station, VA.
- The transfer of the 11th and 12th US Army Corps from the Army of the Potomac to the Army of the Cumberland, to support Maj. Gen. William S. Rosecrans in Alabama, is ordered by President Lincoln and accomplished in lightning speed. (Sep 24-Oct 3)
- Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker, USA, is assigned to the command of the 11th and 12th US Army Corps.
- Skirmish at Greenbrier Bridge, about 21 miles from Huttonsville, WV.
Saturday September 24 1864
- Isaac Hardin Duval, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- John Edwards, USA, is appointed Brig. Gen.
- The action at and surrender of Athens, AL, to Maj. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA, and his cavalry.
- Skirmish at Magnolia, FL.
- Skirmish at Farmington, MO, with Maj. Gen. Sterling Price.
- Confederate attack on Fayette, MO, by Maj. Gen. Sterling Price, CSA.
- Skirmish at Jackson, MO, with Maj. Gen. Sterling Price, CSA.
- Skirmish at Forest Hill (or Timberville), VA, the Shenandoah Valley Campaign.
- Skirmish at Luray, VA.
- Skirmish at Mount Jackson, VA.
- Skirmish at New Market, VA.
- Skirmish near Winchester, VA.
- Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, USA, begins his campaign of burning the Shenandoah Valley, VA, as Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA, declares that if this war is to last another year, no provisions for the Confederate Army will come from the Shenandoah Valley.
Sunday September 24 1865No events on this date.
On This Day information kindly provided by Martin Cross, 2nd U.S. Artillery, Bty B.
For further information or comments regarding this site please contact
Mike Bussey (ACWS Webmaster)
American Civil War Society Ltd.
PO Box 270, WASHINGTON, NE37 9BX, United Kingdom
Copyright 1996-2017 Mike Bussey and ACWS Ltd
|UPCOMING 2017 EVENTS
For Details Click here